If you’ve been wondering why things have been a little quiet around here lately – it’s because we’ve all been preparing for one of the largest Sci-Fi/Comic/Fantasy/Nerddom fests – Dragon*Con.
Dragon*Con kicks off today from Thursday, August 30th to Monday, September 3rd in Atlanta, Georgia.
So we apologise for all the crickets around here as we spend the next four days drinking, costuming, attending panels, and taking some shots of the raddest horror-themed costumes we see. If you see any of us, don’t hesitate to say hello (or buy us a beer)!
Check out some of the panels from the Horror and Dark Fantasy track at Dragon*Con:
- True Blood – A behind-the-scenes look at the hit show
- Remake It! – A discussion of horror remakes, good and bad. What movies could stand to be remade?
- Our Monsters, Ourselves – What each generation’s monsters say about the world we live in
- Vampire Diaries – A behind-the-scenes look at the hit show.
- H.P. Lovecraft at the Movies – A look back at various film and television productions inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
- Stephen King’s Hollywood – A retrospective of the movies based on Stephen King’s fiction
- Hammer Horror – A look back at the legendary film studios
- Dark Shadows – An annual Dark Shadows panel
- David Lynch: Inside the Black Lodge – A discussion panel exploring the surrealistic, nightmarish visions of filmmaker David Lynch
- This Is My Boomstick! – Fans of the Evil Dead, unite!
- Making Monsters a Reality – Acclaimed SFX and make-up artists discuss the art of creating monsters
- Laughing in the Graveyard – The use of humor in dark fantasy
- Cthulhu: The Cult in Pop Culture – A look at the various ways the Cthulhu mythos have been depicted across popular culture.
And here’s a sampling of some of the feature films to be shown:
- A Zombie Invasion – The inhabitants of a small town and it’s very popular diner have to fend off a nasty infestation of hungry zombies.
- Baby-Sitting – A young woman accepts a babysitting offer from a couple she doesn’t know. Puzzled by the children’s odd behavior, she invites some friends to keep her company. Little do they know that it will be the worst night of their lives…
- Blood Fare – Corporal Henry Trout fought valiantly in the forgotten skirmish of the Lethe Confluence during the Civil War. The year was 1861. In 2011, he will come face to face with his descendants as the battle for blood begins. Tyler and her brother Chad, Henry’s fifth generation grandchildren, will challenge the very legend of Charon the Ferryman, as the lines between the living and the dead become blurred. Starring Gil Gerard.
- Nailbiter – It all begins with a trip to pick up daddy from the airport. On the way, things take a … bad turn, and the Maguire family is trapped while fleeing a tornado. They believe they’re all alone in that storm cellar. They aren’t. And whatever is in there with them means to take them one at a time.
- Re: Play-Girls – Michi, a high school girl with a seemingly perfect life—loving parents, popularity, average grades—one day finds herself wanting to end her own life. When Michi reveals a big secret to her best friend, Haruna, she is betrayed by her. The one person she has trusted most has turned on her and Michi becomes the target of bullies at school. Blinded by her agony and hurt, Michi stumbles onto a suicide chat room where she exchanges stories with others in similar situations. After spending time on the site she is asked “Would you like to replay?” Michi impulsively presses “yes” which catapults her on a quest to her own death in the suicide game, “Re: Play-Girls.”
- And many more short films!
And who could forget the horror guests:
- Rose McGowan - Grindhouse, Scream
- Alice Cooper – Need we say more.
- Lloyd Kaufman – President of Troma Entertainment
- Gillian Anderson – The X-Files
- Amber Benson – Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
- James Marsters – Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Angel
- Julet Landau – Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
- Patricia Quinn – Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Carrie Preston – True Blood
- Joe Manganiello – True Blood
- Nelsan Ellis – True Blood
- Sam Trammell - True Blood
- Emily Kinney – The Walking Dead
- Steven Yeun – The Walking Dead
- The Cast of the Vampire Diaries
Hope everyone has a safe Labor Day weekend – Catch you when we get back!